Monday, October 10, 2005

Home is where the weird is...

This weekend was probably one of the most quotable weekends of my existence. It was awesome!

Friday night I had the privilege of being part of the Mclain's street team for their new shoe store downtown. Sarah and I began the evening by walking around passing out fliers. We are approaching a couple and instead of explaining what we were doing Sarah simply states "I've got Fliers!" They looked sufficiently confused, but took the flier so mission accomplished. I think I laughed for 10 minutes straight. At the end of the gut wrenching laughter we came upon some young women who tell us they will take our fliers if we take theirs. (In my experience the you do this and I will do this scenario rarely works to my advantage, but I took my chances.) I don't have the exact flier but this lovely photo should give you an idea of what our eyes got to behold that fateful evening.?
Can't even begin to explain. Not even going to try. Finally, we were walking down the street and we hear a voice from above. No, it wasn't the audible voice of God. It was a very flamboyant man proclaiming through a speaker he had rigged up on the street that the "Mommy, baby, doggy fashion show would commence in 5 minutes." We obviously chose to stay. Really not much to see, lots of chaos in a small
space, dogs doing what comes naturally. Totally inappropriate, also totally funny.


The next morning I arose and went to visit the fam in the great city of Topeka. It has become increasingly apparent to me that everytime I go home to visit my family I come back with some story that is guaranteed to make people say "What the hell?" and is followed by uproarious laughter. (Not quite sure if they are getting weirder or the prolonged time away from T-town has actually made me more normal.) Most if not all involve one of two people. My dad, or my sister Courtney. I had been home for a couple hours when my dad comes in and asks me to move my car because he can't get the tractor out of the garage. This elicits my response of "Huh?" My parents live in suburban Topeka, not rural Alabama. What in the world do they need a tractor for? In my mind that is still yet to be determined. I do know for the remainder of the time I was at home he was driving his glorified lawnmower around the yard. In his defense he has a very green, healthy looking lawn, which I do not. Maybe I need to invest in a tractor. Hmmmm...maybe not. John "the notoriously notorious" Matalone strikes again. Look for stories including "My Murdered Hamster", "Doin' the bump with Harry", "XXXL Rapper sweatshirts," "Illegal Fireworks, beer, and the cops...3 things that maybe don't mix" and "South Dakota is big (edited) country." (I didn't want to put cock in my blog) Things this good can't be made up, they have to be lived, unfortunately by me...well maybe fortunately. I do like a good story.

One final quote for ya'

In what was obviously a momentary lapse of judgment I asked the question
"Do the 49er's still exist?" The large amounts of laughter and no answer was all the response I needed to know that yes the do indeed still exist, and No, I am not really an NFL fan. Hey I never claimed to be...did I?

1 comment:

tiffany said...

Don't worry, I am sure there will be. Weird follows me like some sort of disease. I wish they made meds for that.