Friday, June 16, 2006

Spiritual Kung Fu

It has been quite a while since I dropped a post that was more on the serious side. A post that proves that more goes on in my brain than trying to create metaphors and analogies that perfectly portray the usual craziness of my life. Get excited for the storm that is about to be unleashed…

I usually don’t post much about work in blogland primarily because I don’t have any interest in getting dooced. This week, however, work has caused me to do a bit of self reflection. Reflection that wasn’t necessarily revolving around understanding anything new, but realizing that a specific trait I have is a lot more intense and strong than I once thought. There is a guy at my office that is very different. Very. BUT he is so caring, and generous, and willing to help whenever he is needed. I have been absolutely horrified by the way people treat him. ADULTS. Adults acting like they are in 3rd grade treating him like he somehow is less then they are. Like he doesn’t deserve an ounce of respect because he doesn’t fit into what they would call the normal category. I was fuming earlier this week because he got chewed out for something that wasn’t a big deal by someone who had no authority to be telling him how to tie his shoe let alone anything else. I know that life isn’t fair, but I refuse to sit back and watch people be completely decimated because they either don’t fit in, or because someone is having an ego issue and needs a boost. Whether it is a guy in my office who is being treated unfairly, a woman in Africa being beaten and raped because she isn’t of the right tribe, or a child being forced into prostitution, it lights something inside me, it angers me to the point of tears. I hate it. I hate it because I can’t take away the hurt and the pain. I hate it because I can’t turn back time and manipulate the situation for a better outcome. I do however know that there is an end in sight. There is a day when darkness will fall on all pain and suffering, when there will be no more injustice. A day when all of humanity will behold Jesus, and no longer debate whether he is a savior, good man, alien, or Santa Claus. Until that day I can only hope I get opportunities to fight for those who can’t do it themselves, because that, THAT, is more humbling and exciting than almost anything I can think of.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTA! i totally agree.

kimberly said...

this is all why I knew I would always be frustrated as a teacher...you have to hope, right? but it's hard sometimes...

amy said...

Fight on, Tiff.

Igford said...

Thanks for defending us, Tiffany. It really means a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

I love you matalone.