Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I suppose 1/2 a lecture in nearly 24 years is good.

I made a good decision, and I got a lecture from my dad anyway. It is highly possible that he is trying to make up for never giving me a lecture before..at least not that I can remember. It is probable that the reason has much to do with my very high level of determination. This quality is most certainly a double-edged sword. Much of the time all logic is thrown out the window when I have a goal in sight. This, I am sure, is utterly frustrating as a parent. When your kid takes a cigar out of your mouth and breaks it in half when you're celebrating with your buddies because she is going to stop you from smoking if it means following you around and breaking everything you smoke, I'd imagine it is irritating. Or when I decided that procrastination is not the answer and I single handedly moved all of my bedroom furniture into my dad's old office in the basement. I say old office because it became the "old office" when it became my "new bedroom." Or when I tried setting up a "Say NO to Drugs" product sale at the end of my neighbors driveway only to get told by a mean old lady down the street that the cops were getting called on me...I don't get this either. I could see protesting if we were selling "Let's smoke some weed in 1993" t-shirts out of a tie-dyed spray-painted old suburban, but 10 year olds trying to make a dime, are ya kidding me lady? Nope she wasn't. Cops showed up. We went inside. Lesson learned, don't test old women. They call the cops, and are out of their minds. I think at least one of those instances required some sort of lecture, but I didn't even kind of get one until last weekend... I realized why about half-way through when I looked up and said "I don't know why we are talking about this, I have already made the right decision." Sometimes I scare myself because I know I will someday look down at a two year old who is picking up the phone to call third world countries and save babies and they will say "don't even think about the lecture mom, I am saving millions of kids, You can spare a couple bucks on a phone bill, they only have one shirt...have you seen your closet lately? Whatever I don't care. I AM MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION. " and at that point the world will implode.

3 comments:

michelle said...

tee hee you talked about weed and then posted at 4:20! tee hee...sorry...ok so can we trade cause i seem to get a lecture on a very regular basis which by the way i think i am a bit overdue right now for one dangit which means it'll be a doozy when it hits! weeee ha! you'll have to tell me your secret to getting out of them!

amy said...

Dangit! "Let's smoke some weed in 1993." That was my highschool graduation year and the best thing we could come up with for the tshirts was, "Let's be nice and plant a tree. We're the class of '93."

Must've smoked too much weed. (Just kidding.)

michelle said...

1998! the last class with class!