Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A long explanation of something that could be written in 2 sentences.

If I could go back and be a part of any era of music history anyone who knows me knows I would pick the period of time when “new” country began birthing such acts as Alan Jackson and Diamond Rio. Right. Chattahoochee. I knew how much that muddy water meant to me…absolutely nothing. (If you don’t get that sentence do a little research, you’ll figure it out.) I hate country music with the fire of a thousand suns. I would rather be tied to the wheel of a tractor and slowly driven over a cliff than have to listen to an hour of that rubbish…okay that may be a little extreme. If I really got a choice and a magical time machine (that is probably bedazzled, because this is my dream so my time machine can come in any form I want) took me back to a day before the music died and was reincarnated as 15 year olds who dance around in bustiers. I would pick the age of Classic Rock. Actually right before it became huge. When Lynard Skynard was still a bar act I could catch for $3. A time when the 60’s and the hippie movement were giving way to a new era, a time where feathered hair and macramé were all the rage, a time before Aerosmith sucked. Can you imagine…It is a dream world I know. A close second to the age of classic rock would be the early to mid 90’s, a time I actually existed. I am not discussing Vanilla Ice or the humpty dance, for obvious reasons. Great music to make fun of, even dance to on occasion, but solitary confinement with nothing to listen to but “the humpty dance” would be nothing short of torturous. I am talking Nirvana, Pearl Jam, I am talking my 8th grade year, and lots of flannel. I have been listening to Nirvana's greatest hits a lot lately. I forget how much I love them, and how disappointing it is that there will never be any new Nirvana. Sorry Foo Fighters you just don't cut it for me. There is, however, new Pearl Jam, the reviews are really good, but I have yet to go and pick it up. Ultimately, I am sure it will be added to my collection. I have a couple of bootlegs from a show they did long ago, it only further confirms my belief that in order to be an elusive talent in the music industry you must be exceedingly weird. Eddy Vetter mentions something about a bean burrito and I laugh everytime because I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell he is talking about. It reminds me of the Ryan Adams show in Lawrence a couple of years ago when he talked about his soup tasting like darkness...Maybe I should take back what I said and insert addicted to drugs where the words exceedingly weird are. All of that to say, I love music. Well, I love good music, don't try and pawn off your Aqua cd on me I will probably chuck it at your head if you try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you say that your hatred of country music is "hotter than a hoochie coochie?"

Anonymous said...

Tiff! I absolutely love you for this statement:
"I hate country music with the fire of a thousand suns. I would rather be tied to the wheel of a tractor and slowly driven over a cliff than have to listen to an hour of that rubbish…"

haha i TOTALLY AGREE!!! i'm putting that quote on my facebook. haha.

shalinn said...

the reason you would chuck the aqua cd back in someone's face is because you already own it, right?