Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Funny because it isn't me...

O the life of teenagers. I think the further removed from high school I get the harder it is to remember exactly what was going through my mind during that period of my life. I got a call from my mom this weekend and I won’t say exactly what she said, but it involved cussing, and I was laughing really hard. The long and short of it is that Whitney (my littlest sister) got caught at a party with no parents and enough alcohol to leave a football team incapacitated for a month. But of coarse she maintains SHE WAS NOT DRINKING!!! Whit has a way of getting out of everything. She has a sweetness to her, but she is also one of the most adorable human beings ever to be created which makes people forget she is capable of any wrongdoing. Unfortunately for her my mom doesn’t care how hot you are. If you are drinking and you lie about it you may as well lock yourself up in solitary confinement for the next couple months. That would certainly be more pleasant a punishment than whatever my mom would give you. Courtney (my middle sister) learned very quickly that the best way to avoid the harshest punishment is to tell the truth right up front. (“Mom the cops busted me at a hotel where I was throwing a party, come pick me up.”, “I am on my way to Belton to meet a guy I met on the internet, I am not going to answer my phone anymore.”You know I can’t make stuff like this up…) What was Whit’s punishment you ask…grounding? No. Grounding is as much a punishment for the adult as it is for the kid. In what I think was an act of sheer brilliance on my parent’s part Whitney’s punishment is only being allowed to hang out with Courtney. For those of you who don’t know my family or haven’t really been acquainted with them through this blog it would be important to know that Whitney and Courtney are about as different as they could be. Court is really direct, very loud, extremely temperamental, very ditzy, and one of the funniest people alive. Whit is quieter, very sensitive, really creative, sneaky, and able to talk her way out of anything. (Ya see how getting along may be difficult for these two.) Besides the fact that they are blood relatives the only thing they have in common is the fact that boys are completely fascinated by them. Maybe they will find that a bonding point. I for one can’t wait to see if this punishment ends in a brawl which, all things considered, isn’t that unlikely. Either way, exceptional parenting.

1 comment:

michelle said...

that is hilarious! i think its right up there with the guy who made his daughter stand on the street corner with a sign as punishment...its just fabulous!